The top 5 Reasons to start your Newborn Photography Business
Did you start out as a photographer owning your own business just to find out that running around from job to job to make ends meet was not only wearing you out physically but also leaving you wondering, “why am I doing this to myself?” If so you’re not alone in this thinking. Many photographers have gone from hobbyist to small business owner just to find out that they either didn’t have a niche or the late nights and weekends at weddings and the awkward hours left little to no time for family. That’s why I have come up with the “top 5 reasons to start your newborn photography business!”
1. Specialization - Many times photographers specialize in ‘children” but not always babies. Being a newborn photographer is an in demand niche and when marketed correctly can make you highly sought after.
2. Enhanced freedom - Many new mothers stay home for their first 2-3 weeks after giving birth before returning to work, if returning at all. This means mothers and their newborns are available during normal daytime hours vs. off peak business hours that most photographers keep. This allows for a great social life as well as flexible time with family.
3. You have a passion - Children can often be difficult, but if you didn’t love babies and all the joy they bring to the world, you wouldn’t be entertaining this idea in the first place. Harness your passion and let it shine through in your work as a newborn photographer, it will be a pleasure to be a part of this magical season of a family's life.
4. Unique opportunity to create a lifelong memory - Use this opportunity to be a part of creating beautiful memories for a family and giving them something they can cherish for the rest of their lives. Not many professions give you the chance to be a part of something so special.
5. It can be a lucrative business - With all the other tips in mind remember that this is a business and a business is started to make money. When you have created a niche & style for yourself, have the freedom to not only be happy with your work but in your personal life then you are truly acting out a passion. The saying goes you will never work a day in your life.
When you get out of bed and begin your work day effortlessly doing something you love, work is never laborious, but yet a labor of love. Starting your career as a newborn photographer could very well be one of the best decisions you will ever make.